Thursday, June 17, 2010

Maybe...

I was in a meeting this morning with a colleague named Miriam. She is beautiful. I mean, capital "B" beautiful - tall, slender, tons of gorgeous dark hair, classic features - beautiful. Plus, she's intelligent and well-travelled, with a fantastic Biblical name. In the words of Carrie Fisher from When Harry Met Sally: "...your basic nightmare..."

As I was washing my hands in the bathroom after our meeting, I took stock in the mirror as I usually do - bright red hair in a messy up-do (which I like to think is "tousled" and "stylish" rather than "messy"), white skin with visible pores, eye make-up that's holding up pretty well for 11:30 in the morning. I gave myself a shrug, still thinking of the gorgeous Miriam, then heard a voice in my head:

"Maybe she wishes she looked like you."

"Right," I thought. "Like a gorgeous Latina would want to trade places with a snub-nosed German-Irish girl with thighs like Schwarzenegger."

"Maybe she would," the voice countered.

Hmmm. Maybe.

And maybe insecurity doesn't discriminate based on age, weight, ethnicity.

Maybe.

It's a thought.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the best blog posts I have ever read. Keep your wisdom coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%, insecurity doesn't descriminate. In highschool I was 102 pounds and I was just as insecure as I am today at... well... it's a larger number. Let's leave it at that. I often see girls who are my size or larger that are so well put together and so confident in themselves that I am jealous of them. I think at the end of the day, when we learn to love and accept ourselves just the way we are the rest will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete