Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Baby steps

Weigh-in yesterday showed I was down 0.2 pounds. As my father would say, "It's moving in the right direction..." Especially considering I haven't been able to move around much after surgery, and am still trying to get back into my normal routine. The last three nights I've gone to bed at 8:30. It's like being in 3rd grade again. Actually, considering leggings, giant belts, and white plastics sunglasses for guys are back in style, the world actually is like it was when I was in 3rd grade. Except now I can drive a car - and I no longer perm my hair.

I'm looking forward to being able to move around more freely again, and to lifting things over 10 pounds. It kills me when my niece launches herself at my knees and hugs me, and I can't pick her up. But I'm halfway through my recovery period, so it's all downhill from here!

I'm hopeful that I'll be back up to speed for the Minnesota Teen Challenge 10K on Oct. 16 - I'm walking with my friend Pati, and I may be walking very slowly. :) If you'd like to support me as I walk (at a moderate pace!) visit my fundraising page here. Teen Challenge is an amazing organization that helps people break free of chemical dependency, and this event is their first fundraising walk. I may have to investigate a hernia truss or something to get me through, but I'll be there! :)

2 comments:

  1. Warning, once again I am about to be the voice of "girl, you crazy!"

    Over the past month you have averaged loss of 2 pounds a week (gone forever, buh-bye fat). I have never been that effective at weight loss, even in my 20s when all it took to lose weight was to say "I think I'm going to diet now". Don't you dare beat yourself up. You are incredible. I know what kind of dedication it takes to stay on the right path, especially when you aren't able to move. If you keep this up you will get a book deal.

    I expect to hear how great you have been doing on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, friend! You always are the "Girl, you crazy!" for me. :) It really does feel like this time the weight loss is for good, and that I've accepted that this is the way (I nearly typed "weigh" - what's up, Freudian typing) I'll need to live for the rest of my days. I think we just need to get to a place where we accept the fact that this is how our bodies work and the type of life we'll need to live if we want to be healthier. And that we need the support of other super-cool chicks to help us do it.

    ReplyDelete