Thursday, July 1, 2010

Beautiful somehow...

I was at a church committee meeting Tuesday night, and was sharing with the group some of the changes in my thinking that have happened over the last few weeks. We were discussing the passage of John 15 where Jesus said He was the vine, and those of us who follow Him are the branches. Jesus said in that passage that He cuts off everything in our lives that doesn't bear fruit, and that's exactly what I believe He's done for me the past few weeks. He's cut off all the old hang-ups and lies I used to cling to - that no man would ever be attracted to me because I didn't have biceps like Jennifer Aniston's, that I'll always be fat and unhappy, that it's impossible for me to be strong and healthy and happy in this body that I have. I'm getting rid of all that stuff, and Jesus is cutting it all off and throwing it in the fire where it belongs.

As I shared these things with the committee members (well, not the biceps part - a slightly edited version!) my sweet friend Mary looked across the room at me and said, "And you look more beautiful, Ivy." I started to choke up as I thanked her, and realized what the old Ivy would have thought:

Old Ivy: "That's just Mary - she says stuff like that. She's only doing it to be nice. Nobody else here thinks I'm beautiful."

New Ivy: "Thank you, Mary. I feel more beautiful - and that's what really matters."

And, thanks be, New Ivy was the one who spoke Tuesday night. And she's still talking.

In other news - I can now totally rock Mama Elephant push-ups. Bring it, world. :)

1 comment:

  1. You have come a long way from blar! I can't wait to do coffee and knitting again because I have a feeling I'll find you glowing. I'm totally impressed with your Mama Elephant push-ups!

    ReplyDelete